New MACRA and QPP Resources Available
As MassAFP and AAFP continue to focus on member education and transitioning from language using MACRA to Quality Payment Programs (QPP), we are pleased to make these materials available to you, our valued members. Learn more about all elements of the shift to value based payment reform at aafp.org/macraready
Pick Your Pace
Participation in 2017 will impact Medicare payments when Quality Payment Program (QPP) payment adjustments take effect in 2019. That's why CMS deemed 2017 a transition year, allowing physicians to "Pick Your Pace".
To avoid a 2019 negative payment adjustment, eligible technicians (ECs) must select from one of four Pick Your Pace options:
2. Partial Participation – Submit at least 90 days of data for more than one quality measure, OR more than one improvement activity, OR more than the four required ACI measures and avoid a negative payment adjustment. Partial participation also allows ECs to possibly receive a small positive payment adjustment. Read a practice scenario for the partial participation option.
3. Full Participation – Submit at least 90 days of data for all required quality measures, AND all required improvement activities, AND all four required ACI measures to avoid a negative payment adjustment. Full participation also allows ECs to possibly receive a moderate positive payment adjustment. Read a practice scenario for the full participation option.
4. Advanced Alternative Payment Model – ECs will receive a 5% bonus if they receive 25% of Medicare Part B payments, OR see 20% of patients through the AAPM.
The AAFP has additional resources to help you take action, including:
- Get MACRA Ready with QPP - short video to help you avoid a 4% negative payment adjustment in 2019.
- QPP handout - provides an overview of QPP and the paths you can take to avoid a payment penalty.
- QPP technical assistance - CMS has several programs available to help transition and successfully participate in one of the two payment programs.
- MACRA Advancing Care Information and Improvement Activities - Learn how to maximize your score in the Quality Payment Program (QPP).
Technical assistance available
- Physicians transitioning to Medicare's new QPP will have access to several technical assistance programs to help you participate in one of the two payment tracks. CMS encourages all eligible clinicians to access the QPP Service Center. The service center will assess your needs and determine the appropriate technical assistance program. Learn more about the technical assistance programs.
Ready to transform your practice?
Prepare for MACRA's Quality Payment Program (QPP)—for free—with the Transforming Clinical Practice initiative (TCPi). Through collaborative, peer-based learning networks, the Transforming Clinical Practice initiative (TCPi) helps practices just like yours prepare for value-based payment.
TPCi's quality improvement advisors will help you identify areas of opportunity for practice transformation and provide technical assistance based on your practice's needs.
Additionally, you will be eligible for:
ABFM Family Medicine Certification-Performance Improvement Activity for participating with a Practice Transformation Network (PTN)
PRIME Family Medicine Registry
MIPS Improvement Activity credit for PTN participation
TCPi is offering practice transformation support, and the AAFP is here to connect you with a PTN that meets your needs. Email us to learn more.